Friday, July 25, 2008

First Clicker Training Session

Today my husband brought home a clicker. I ran right out and Little Man (my mini mule) and I had our first session. I started by just clicking, then offering him a treat. After about five times I reached out and touched his halter, clicked, and gave him a treat. It took no time before he heard the click and immediately started looking for his treat! Sometimes he jerked his head away, but other times he didn't. I only touched his halter very briefly, just long enough for him to know and for me to click. The session was only a few minutes long, but I am so excited.

I think that this will be so good. Because of his past (he was mistreated), negative reinforcement probably isn't a good idea. My goal is to be able to touch his halter for longer periods of time, then take hold of it, then pull on it a bit, etc. My long term goal is to be able to get a lead rope on him. But I'm not going to rush.

I am looking forward to tomorrow!

Blessings on you,
Kelly

No comments: